Smoke Detector, Carbon Monoxide & Fire Extinguisher Inspections
Smoke Detector, Carbon Monoxide, and Fire Extinguisher inspection are required before a home sale or change in occupancy. Before anyone or two-family dwelling is sold, leased, or there is a change of occupancy, the owner shall obtain a Certificate of Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Compliance showing compliance with the New Jersey Uniform Fire Code from the Tenafly Fire Prevention Bureau. Please note we normally complete these inspections on Monday’s and Thursdays between 10 am to 12 pm.
Applications can be emailed to Fire Prevention, M. McDonald.
The fee for the inspection is calculated from the date of when the Fire Prevention office receives the application to the closing or move-in date:
- More than 10 business days: $45
- Between 4 to 10 business days: $90
- Less than 4 business days: $161
For 2 plus family homes, the fee would be multiplied per unit.
Please be advised as of September 15, 2023 a $45.00 fee per Re-inspections will be due prior to any Re-inspections appointments being scheduled.
- Payment for the inspection will be needed to schedule the appointment.
- We only accept checks, which would need to be made out to the Borough of Tenafly.
- Affidavits in lieu of inspection are subject to the Fire Officials discretion. The affidavit must be received for the Fire officials to review. Original notarized Affidavit, completed application along with a notarized letter from the homeowner or attorney stating the property will be completely demolished. Tenafly Affidavit Smoke Certification (PDF).
- Contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at 201-568-9269 or email M. McDonald to arrange an inspection and obtain this certificate.