RESOURCE GUIDE FOR SENIORS
CHORE SERVICES 201 489-7790
Simple household repairs for individuals 60+ and disabled individuals living in Bergen County.
Examples of services include:
- minor plumbing – faucet/toilet leaks
- minor electrical –replace light bulbs, doorbells, etc
- weatherizing – seasonal changes of screens, weather-strip doors & windows
- repair or replace door locks, filters, batteries, springs
- install smoke alarms, grab-bars in bath areas
Please note: CHORE is unable to service emergencies.They do not do outdoor work,
cosmetic or appliance repair.
PEACE OF MIND PROGRAM
Registration for cognitively impaired residents. Call Police Department for information 201 568-5100
For names of doctors who make house calls, please call the
HackensackUMC HARP Program (Health Awareness Regional Program), 551-996-2038
TRANSPORTATION- 201 368-5955
Bergen County Community Transportation
The County van is handicapped accessible and offers free transportation to medical appointments in Bergen County. Two weeks advanced notice is necessary. They will ask for your name, address, phone, birth date, Social Security number and an emergency contact.
E Z RIDE - 201 939-4242
FOOD SHOPPING- ShopRite in Englewood
A County van is available to pick up Tenafly residents on Wednesday mornings. Call 201- 368-5955 - Bergen County Transportation
JEWISH FAMILY & CHILDREN SERVICES OF NJ (KOSHER) 201 837-9090
MEALS ON WHEELS - NORTHERN BERGEN COUNTY 201 358-0050
For individuals 60+ and disabled. Must be homebound. Weekend program also available. A donation of $ 1.25 per meal is suggested. Call the numbers
above for information about special diet meals and other program restrictions.
WELLNESS CHECK PROGRAM 201 336-7400
This is a telephone reassurance program providing daily phone calls to homebound elderly adults.
USF & LIFELINE (Universal Service Fund) – 201 968-0200, 201 336-7400 or 800-792-9745
One application for these two (2) programs,. Yearly credit towards gas & electric bills
HOME ENERGY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM(HEAP)
Bergen County Community Action Program (BCCAP)
241 Moore St., Hackensack
800-792-9745 (Trenton) or
201-968-0200, Ext. 7036
Helps low income people meet heating & cooling costs. Assists eligible households with high energy bills. Other assistance includes weatherization, insulation, storm windows/doors, caulking, etc.
REVERSE MORTGAGE COUNSELING 201 336-7569
The Division of Senior Services provides the free, required counseling to homeowners on the Federal Home Equity Insurance Program to help seniors utilize some of the equity in their home to meet current expenses – especially taxes and home health care as provided by Bergen County/NJ EASE. Call the Division of Senior Services 201 336-7400 for information or an appointment.
LGBT NATIONAL SENIOR HOTLINE 1 888 234-7243
A hotline for LGBT elders in need of peer counseling, information & local resources
IMPORTANT TELEPHONE NUMBERS
- ADULT PROTECTIVE SERVICES (24 hr hotline) 201 368-4300/201-785-5757/201-336-7705/800-624-0275
- ELDER LAW- free legal assistance 201 487-2166
- HOUSING AUTHORITY OF BERGEN COUNTY 201 336-7600
- (senior & subsidized housing)
- MEDICAID- 973-977-4077
- MEDICARE A & B 800-633-4227
- MEDICARE 1 800-633-4227/201-336-7400/201-336-7413/201-336-7427
- SOCIAL SECURITY HOTLLINE -1 800 772-1213
- TENAFLY BOROUGH HALL- 201 568-6100
- TENAFLY POLICE DEPARTMENT- EMERGENCY ONLY 911
- NON-EMERGENCY 201 568-5100
- TENAFLY HOUSE/ SENIOR HOUSING (Tenafly Rd apartment complex) 201-569-7933
- VETERANS SERVICES- 201 336-6325
- FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR HOMEBOUND VETERANS 800-827-1000
- WELLNESS DISCOUNT PROGRAM 201 336-7400