Tenafly Borough Hall, 100 Riveredge Road, Tenafly, NJ 07670    201-568-6100    HOURS: Mon-Fri 8:30am - 4:30pm

Building Department

The Building Department includes administration and enforcement of zoning, building and other codes as well as the maintenance of Borough Hall. Within the Building Department, the Tenafly Construction Agency enforces the New Jersey State Uniform Construction Code (UCC).

Department Director/Zoning Officer  Robert E. Byrnes, Sr.
Construction Official/Building Subcode Robert E. Byrnes, Sr.
Code Enforcement Officer Robert McQuade
Code Enforcement Officer Dan McEldowney
Plumbing Inspector Dave Nizborski
Electrical Inspector Jack McManus
Fire Inspector Alden Blackwell
Elevator Inspector Rich Keeley
Technical Assistant Raishah Franklin
Office Manager/Zoning Bd. Secretary  
The Building Department is located in the Municipal Center. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday, through Friday. UCC permits are issued each day until 3:00 p.m. Call 201-568-6100, ext. 5505 for additional information. Should you wish to directly contact any of the Building Department's full time staff via email, point to and click on that person's name, underlined on the above list . Once your message has been received, the person you have contacted will respond, in most instances, within one business day.

Land development and construction in Tenafly are regulated by various state, county and local laws (codes), chief amoung these are the State of New Jersey Uniform Construction Code (UCC) and the Borough of Tenafly Revised General Ordinances (the Borough Code). Relative to land use and construction, the Borough Code regulates zoning, historic preservation, property maintenance, tree removals, soil movement, storm water control and various aspects of construction operations, including noise, pollution and when work may be performed.

Based on the intended use, the UCC regulates how structures must be constructed to insure the health, safety and welfare of the public. It provides the means for state-licensed code officials to review plans, issue permits and inspect construction to insure that minimum code standards are met and appropriate building materials are used, thereby reducing potential hazards due to unsafe construction.

The type, location and extent of the work to be performed for any given project will determine what type(s) of permit(s) will be required to perform the intended work, including any or all of the following: zoning permit, UCC demolition and/or construction permits, tree removal permit, soil movement permit, sign permit. Certain projects and types of work may also require the prior approval of the Planning Board, Zoning Board of Adjustment or Historic Preservation Commission before any permit applications can be made.

If you are contemplating doing any of the following work, please call or visit the Building Department at Borough Hall:
  • New building/additions/renovations
  • Demolitions
  • Electrical or plumbing work
  • Boiler or furnace work
  • HVAC or air conditioning work
  • Door or window replacement when changing the size or type
  • Oil tank removal
  • Above or below ground pools                 
  • Fences
  • Sheds
  • Signs
  • Ancillary residential and commercial construction such as tennis courts, decks, patios, walks, driveways, etc.
If you are a business owner that intends to occupying an existing building or tenant space, regardless of whether construction work will be performed, a Zoning Permit is required for all new tenancies before occupying the building or tenant space. Planning Board approval may also be required. Please inquire with the Building Department and/or Planning Board office.

There is certain construction work that you may be allowed to do without first obtaining permits such as installing floor (not wall) tiles, painting, replacing same size windows and doors, but if you are in doubt, a call to the Building Department is recommended.

Permits must be obtained before that start of work except that emergency replacement of furnaces, boilers and water heaters will be allowed as long as the Building Department is notified of the replacement at the time of installation and permits are obtained within five days thereafter.
See below for both the Zoning Application and the Fence Applictaion:


Please use the forms below.  Print and complete the forms that are required for the work you will be doing and submit them to the Building Department:

MANILA FOLDER (print pages 1 and 2 only)







Additional Links