Some helpful tips to prevent a fire from starting in your home:
- Use caution when cooking. Never leave food on a stove or in an oven unattended. Avoid wearing clothes with loose-fitting sleeves that could easily catch on fire when reaching for a pot on the cooktop.
- Have your heating system checked annually. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using portable heaters. Also, have your chimney checked and cleaned when necessary, especially if you use your fireplace frequently.
- Do not smoke in bed. Smoking in bed is the leading cause of fire deaths and the second most cause of residential fires. Never leave burning cigarettes unattended, do not empty smoldering ashes into the trash, and keep ashtrays away from upholstered furniture and window treatments.
- Keep matches and lighters away from children.
- Store flammable substances in a safe place away from heat sources.
- Never leave burning candles unattended.